Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Sparky and His Sunflowers

Sparky loves him some Sunflowers.  I know.  Random. 

As Spring has arrived, Sparky and I have been anxious to pretty up our yards once again.  We love planting and gardening and building a better home and Spring has shown to be the time when we get all "ba-jig-adee"...yeah.  bajigadee.

Our recent trips to TLC and Lowes have brought us colorful and sustainable plants and flowers.  I finally got my daylilies and succulants, while Sparky got more green and ground coverage.  I'm always screaming "I want color!" while Sparky always wants more "green" or grasslike plants.  Which, don't get me wrong, I love green and grassy stuff but dang it..."I NEED COLOR!!"

Anyway, the one colorful flower Sparky L.O.V.E.'s is a sunflower.  Me?  I'm not too much of a fan of the sunflower but I can tolerate them if it allows for some dang color.  Beggers can't be choosers, right?  So, he picked up some little bags of sunflowers seeds during one of our trips to Lowes. 

This year we've decided to move our vegetable garden when the time comes to plant those little gems.  So, we went ahead and tossed the little sunflower seeds in one straight long line in the old raised beds along our East fence in the backyard.  This area gets so much sun! 

These little guys are amazing.  They've already started sprouting!  They've only been in the ground for about a week and a half and are doing amazing even though Ruby keeps digging them up.  grrr.


I love that the shells are still holding on!



Peek-a-boo

Ruby thinks this is her play area.  The Jaws song warning of a dangerous shark approaching always comes to mind when I see her approaching restricted territory.


Project post coming soon:  Sparky's floating flower beds.

Keep on Keepin on.

No comments: