Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Friendship Note

Today, my thoughts are with one of my long time closest girlfriends. We have known each other since the 5th grade when I moved to these flat plains from sunny Southern California. We have shared clothes, laughed, cried, caused mischief, been victims of mischief, had crushes on the same boys, rode to school together (either from parents toting us there or finally when she got a car of her own), studied together, had different extracurricular activities, attended different colleges, attempted to be torn apart by others, drifted apart at times and always remained close friends. After 17 years of being friends, I had the pleasure of being in her wedding last year and watching her grow even more into a young beautiful woman.

This past Sunday, I was sorting through some very old papers. I was purging all my papers and attempting to organize. At the very bottom of one of my files was a random folded up piece of paper. It was folded strategically into a square and I instantly knew that this paper was an oldie but a goodie. It was a note. It was not just some note, but it was a note this friend had written to me in the 8th grade. You know the kind... “Hey, how are you? I’m good. Just bored. Did you see so and so today? He looks sooooooooooooooo cute. This class is soooooooooooo boring. I can’t wait until this weekend. TTYL.” All written in colorful red ink with flowers and squiggles bordering the sheet of young adolescent gossip. I’m sure we all wrote notes to our friends in school and passed them to each other either in class or passing in the hallways. Don’t deny it.

I was so giddy to find this random note from 15 years ago. At that moment it just made me so happy and made me think I needed to call my friend and check on her.

That was Sunday evening. On Tuesday evening, this friend called me with sad news. Her father passed away Monday evening. It was unexpected but not. He had been declining in health for a few years but I had not had an update in a few months.

So, today, tomorrow, and always, my thoughts are with my long time friend and her family. Tomorrow we will honor her father and I will have another chance to see my friend grow even more into a young beautiful woman.

Keep in touch. Hold on to those worth holding on to. Be there for each other no matter the distance or time. Sometimes the little things, even small folded up little notes, will pop up and remind you of the simplicity and timelessness of a good friendship.

Keep on Keepin on.

No comments: