Monday, July 21, 2008

Coping

So, my first weekend as a single is over and done. It wasn't too bad. It's amazing what one can do to keep themselves and their mind occupied. Coping. It is a strange word and such a dynamic word all at once. The process is far more complex. Every person has a different way of coping with different situations. For me, coping normally involves endless amounts of junk food and lots of sleeping. Normally, I am unable to focus well on the important things. But, coping with my current turn of events has been different for me this past week. I have never experienced such loss of appetite or inability to sleep through the night...but I have had an amazing ability to focus on work...and more importantly an ability to focus on me. Although my appetite has been almost non-existent, I have forced myself to eat. The sleeping has gotten better over the weekend.

Although I have had offers from friends to do this and to do that, my coping strategy is to stay home alone. For now, it is comforting. Don't get me wrong, I had lunch with girlfriends on Saturday and went and saw "Mamma Mia" and the new "Batman" in the theater; but for the most part, home is where my heart needed to be. So, what did I do to keep myself busy and not depressed? I watched "The Break-Up"...the movie with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Smart right? Actually, YES! For me it was. The arguments were almost vertbatim to mine and my now ex-person and the reasons for Aniston's and Vaughn's breakup are so similar I feel like my relationship was modeled after it. Anyway, the point being that everything is going to be fine. So, although I am not stupid and I know everything will be fine without needing a movie to tell me that, the movie was still reassuring.

So, I tried to find a relevant clip of the movie to share on this post and could not find any I liked....and I didn't want to take the time to search either. So you get the following clip...only watch it if you want to be totally depressed. If not, scroll forward for much more uplifting visuals.



The following are far more comforting. My following friends have been incredibly helpful through my coping.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Deb! I am glad to hear that you're doing okay. I also think that it's great that you are able to be on your own and just have some time to yourself. You're right about everyone's coping methods being different. Some people need to have time to themselves to reflect and pick up the pieces, while others need to be in constant contact with people. I tend to shift between both.

When I broke up with my ex, I just needed to be with my friends and family ALL the time. The relationship before that, I needed to just be by myself.

Glad to hear that you're hanging in there :) If we lived closer, I'd take you and Bridget out for a drink...though I wouldn't be partaking in any consumption of alcoholic beverages (at least for the next six months)! Obviously.

I'll be checking in again. XOXO

Unknown said...

Originally, in my comment I had written "I'd take you out for a drink", but I threw in Bridget's name in there too because she also seems like such a fun gal to hang out with!

You obviously know this already, but I'll tell you this anyway. You are going to be fine. No. You are going to be GREAT. You know why? You're HOT, smart, funny, beautiful, friendly and have a kick@$$ personality. That's why.

*Well, I say this though I have never met you in person, but it kinda shows through your blog :)

Have a great rest of the week! xo