Saturday, January 05, 2008

What Is Your Life Effective Goal?

What does resolution mean to you??? To me it means final. So, I don't believe in having New Year's resolutions. If you do have one or a few, I definitely won't judge...it's just that for me, I prefer a different term. I like to use Goals for my New Year expectations.

To have a resolution means it's final and only for that year. For instance, how many times have a I said that I want to get in shape for this year?? Probably ever since I hit puberty. So, I work at getting in shape and get it done....and...then what?? Ok, I achieved my resolution. Next, please.

There also seems to be an unattainable thorn with having a resolution. I have all year so, to me, that means...."I got time." Then, I forget and/or most definitely become lazy.

So, this year I have Life Effective Goals. I have two things I want to start working on this year that I can continue for the rest of my life:

1. I want to write more.

As long as I can remember, I have always wanted to write for a living. I want to write a novel, even if it never gets published. I want to write books of poetry, even if they never get published. But, there is so much I still need to learn. But, the one thing I do have for writing is Passion...you cannot be taught passion.

What has been holding me back??? My personal stigma that hangs over me whispering, "I am not experienced or good enough" and my slowly retreating fear. I am naturally a pretty shy individual and am fearful of what others would say about me. But, I am slowly getting over it...thanks to frackin goodness!

2. I want to learn to play piano.

I grew up being very musical. I played the Coronet for 3 years and sang for 5 years. I have always wanted to know how to play the piano. With my musical background, I definitely think this "want" of mine is very achievable. I already know how to read music with my 8 years of musical background and I have a good ear for tone and pitch and any other musical term I could throw out there to make myself sound like I really know what I am talking about. However I say it, I can easily justify this want. It is very frustrating to know how to play any melody line on a set of keys, but not know how to play the important piano lines.

This year, I will start my journey to play piano. Ultimately, I want to be able to sing and play the piano at the same time, teach my future children to play the piano, and instill the beauty of music in my future children's hearts and anyone's heart that I would be lucky enough to play for.

I am excited for these Life Effective Goals. I need to quit being afraid of my passions and my talents. I need to explore my life and do things for myself that will be enjoyable not only for me but for those close to me.

Love your real life and try to make at least one Life Effective Goal.

1 comment:

Mrs. G. said...

Two great expectations...and look at you. Writing already!