Friday, January 25, 2008

I am going to Paris



After an overnight contemplation and an increase in price due to my indecisiveness, I booked my flight to the wonderful world of wine, baguetts, and the Louve.

My friend Bridget and I have talked for years about taking a trip to Paris. There has never been a better time than now. We got a great deal on the plane tickets and a free place to stay. That's right...FREE. We have a friend who lives there and she has offered her home...you can't beat that. Plus, she grew up in Paris and will make a great little tour guide. She is a super fun and sweet French girl who is fascinated with America...and sings in a Cabaret!

Now, the excitement of traveling to uncharted territory is subsiding and my typical OCD I only have just under 2 months to plan all the things I need to take with me is only just beginning to kick in. What do I wear? I don't want to look like a tourist and I don't want to look like I am trying too hard. But it's Paris! It's the fashion capital of the world!

I need to start a checklist:

1. Comfy shoes...but cute?
2. Sexy boots...but comfy?
3. Long warm coat to match sexy boots.
4. Beret. or be sure to buy one or two when I get there.
5. Cute purse that a gypsy won't be able to get there paws in.
6. Brush up on my French. The one semester in my undergrad 4 years ago probably won't cut it.





Things to do:
1. Purchase cool French beret.
2. To the Louve!
3. Frequent snarky cabaret or two.
4. Sit at cafe drinking wine and/or coffee pretending I'm super french.
5. Pretend to know french. "J'mapelle Debbie"
6. Eiffel tower!

I know I am missing a ton of stuff. Any ideas?

This is going to be a long month and a half. It will all be worth leaving the boy toys behind and having a french rendevous with the girlfriends, though.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

FUN, FUN, FUN! My only advice is that your footwear be comfy because you'll be doing a lot of walking. Have a blast! I can't wait to see pictures and to read about your time there.

Stella said...

just have a choisson.

thats all you need to know.

France is the most wonderful place on earth. I'm jealous youre going...enjoy every moment!

get out of the city for a day if you can...see the country. eat a baguette EVERY DAY...you can live off that shit.

when you come back to the states, you will be the biggest bread snob b/c nothing even COMPARES. not even your favorite bakery. it really is heaven.

ahhhhh...have fun!

Deb said...

I already love bread or any other carb filled food I an injest! This trip may be a bad idea for my ass.

But, Choisson is defitnatly added to my list...now I just need to figure out what that is. ;p

Anonymous said...

I'm having to post this anonymously because I know no other way, but let the World know it is Bridget! Debbie's Paris partner! I can't wait until we hope aboard our non-private economy class plane and head to the wondersous world that is Paris...we have 2 1/2 weeks to go and it can't get here any sooner! Go ahead and add scooter ride to your list of To Do's! au revoir

Janet said...

Go to Bon Marche and get a jar of Christine Ferber's jam to bring home...omg! Eat a galette from Pierre Hermé. Try a Pastis and water in a cafe and beware the bite! Try Paul's for a pain du chocolat and cafe creme. Cheese plat, s'il vous plaît. Oh, and you have to try a crepe; see if you can find this place: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fondofelves/27684063/
It was amazing!

Go to the Musée d'Orsay, to Montmartre, to Notre Dame and always keep an eye out for gargoyles :-)

Read this book before you go: “Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home” by Kim Sunee

And do, DO wear comfy shoes!

Ohhhh and you guessed "I think it is pineapple jelly or something like that" on whatisitwednesday.blogspot.com ... it's a pickle ;-)

Deb said...

A pickle?? Good one! It really looked like pineapple jelly to me. :)

oooh. thanks for all the tips!! I am going to start a journal with all the advice and then document in the journal all my adventures while in Paris. This should offer some good blogging when I return!